Following family members can be insured without contribution:
- children; stepchildren*; grandchildren and foster children
- spouses; civil partners
- their place of residence or habitual residence is in Germany,
- they are no members of a statutory health insurance,
- they are not full-time self-employed,
- they do not achieve a monthly income of 470.00 Euro in 2021 (earnings within the meaning of the income tax law, e.g. investment income, taxable scholarships, income from rent and leasing, etc),
- *either accomodated or mainly supported by a member.
The insurance for children can be covered…
- until the age of 18,
- until the age of 23, if not employed,
- until the age of 25, if they are in school education or vocational training.
Options for an extension of the family insurance.
We may extend the family insurance beyond the 25th birthday due to the legally required military and civilian service, where appropriate. Voluntary services according to "Jugendfreiwilligen-" or "Bundesfreiwilligendienstgesetz", commenced at July 1, 2011 will be considered in an extension beyond the 25th birthday. The actual perion of service, at a maximum of 12 months, will be recognised.
We provide insurance for children suffering from a disability and consequential inability to take care for themselves without age restrictions (§ 2 Absatz 1 Satz 1 SGB IX). The disability must have been present when the child already has been insured as a family member.
Important to know!
If your spouse is privately insured, your children can be co-insured as family member on the follwoing conditions: The privately insured spouse is...
- not related to the child
- has a total income of less than 5,362.50 Euro per month (value for 2021) or
- has a lower income than the energie-BKK member.